Thursday, August 19, 2010

7 quick takes

1. Today I am watching my friend's son, Lincoln. I have started to watch him three days a week. He is 4 months old and just a sweetie pie. We love having him here and spending time with him. Joey lights up when he gets to see Lincoln. I am hoping this will prepare Joey for his little sister to arrive.

2. We fly to Spokane tomorrow for a week. We are spending the week with Cory's parents and siblings. We are looking forward to seeing them and for Joey to play with his cousins! We haven't seen them since May, so it should be a good time.

3. In a little over a week Joey will be turning 1 years old! I can't believe it. We will be having his party at my parents house in Idaho on Sat. the 28th. We are looking forward to playing on the lake, seeing family, and watching Joey eat cake :). Video's and pics to come for sure!

4. Poor Joseph has been having some tough days....I think it is his teething...but who knows. He has been taking short naps and has been waking up randomly throughout the night...I never have to go in there, but you can tell he is not as rested as normal...the mornings, which are usually easy, have been miserable. Hopefully he will find relief soon.

5. We are planning on heading to San Diego for Labor Day weekend to visit our friends Adam and Megan Forrest and their cutie pie son, Theodore. We can't wait to sit on the beach and play with them.

6. Joseph is still not walking, but he loves standing up and wiggling (dancing) to music. As much as I anxiously await for him to walk, I know that he is much slower now then he will be when he is walking and running. And I am only getting bigger, so I remind myself constantly that it is a good thing he is still just crawling :)

7. We went shopping yesterday for Joseph's birthday and we spent quite a bit of time looking at the different presents we could buy. I wanted to get him something somewhat big...such as a light up toy that he could push around (which is what we got him), but then I also wanted to get him a few more small things. Cory, however, kept saying that he only needed one thing and that he would probably get plenty of other toys from family and friends. I was pretty upset at the store and kept going back and forth with it....and then finally realized Cory was right...so we paid for everything and left the store. As we were getting in our car, a girl about my age came up to me with tears in her eyes and told me that she had just tried to buy formula for her 5 month old and her food stamps were not working. She said her baby really needed some milk and was wondering if I could help her out. Right away Cory and I gave her some money to buy the milk 12 dollars is what she needed. I know that there is a chance she could have been scamming us, but I felt honesty in her. Usually I am hesitant to give money to people, but it felt right here. So we gave it to her and she kept asking how she could repay us, but we told her not to worry about it. Then as we were driving home I couldn't stop thinking about it and I started to realize God was teaching me a lesson. Just 3o minutes ago I was upset because I couldn't buy Joey more toys for his birthday and then as we were leaving we met a woman who was upset because she couldn't FEED her baby! Wow, talk about a lesson learned. It is easy to lose perspective sometimes and I am thankful for this moment where God humbled me.

2 comments:

  1. this post is a trick!! I had to highlight the text to read it. That's so exciting you're going to visit Megan. I wish we still lived close so we could go shopping for obnoxiously large bows for our little girls to wear!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Re: #7-- You and Cory have such beautiful souls, Athena. You can talk about such amazing spiritual truths with such frankness and honesty-- hiding nothing, withholding nothing-- so that other people can truly see how you allow God to guide you. You are such gems, both of you!

    ReplyDelete